Under European Union Directive, professional lorry, bus and coach drivers need to hold a Driver CPC qualification in addition to a vocational driving licence. This includes drivers of goods vehicles over 3.5 tonnes in weight and passenger carrying vehicles with 9 seats or more.
New drivers can obtain their initial Driver CPC by passing a series of qualification tests – theory and practical. This must then be followed by 35 hours of periodic training every 5 years in order to keep their Driver CPC current.
Drivers do not need a Driver CPC Qualification if the vehicle they drive:
- is used for non-commercial carriage of passengers or goods for personal use.
- is carrying material or equipment to be used by the driver in the course of his or her work, provided that driving the vehicle is not the driver’s principal activity.
Initial Driver CPC Summary:
The initial Driver CPC Qualification is made up of two tests:
Module 2 – Case Studies Test:
- This is a computer based test and will be booked in the same place as other theory tests.
- Each test will be made up of 7 case studies, each one with 6-8 questions, with a possible maximum score of 50 (of which the pass mark will be 38).
- The test will take up to 1.5 hours to complete
Module 4 – Vehicle Checks/Safety Test:
- This is a practical test and will take place at a LGV Practical Test Centre.
- The test consists of 5 topic areas which cover the Driver CPC syllabus and in order to pass the candidate has to score 15 out of a possible 20 points in each topic are (75%) and an overall score of 80%
- The test will take approximately 30 mins to complete.
Module 2 Case Studies:
- We can provide support and access to various online training aids and advice on how best to prepare for your Case Studies Test.
Module 4 – Safety and Security Practical Demonstration Test:
- Training is based on a full day session for up to 4 candidates.
- We will spend the morning covering all aspects of the Module 4 test before heading to the test centre to complete the tests.
If you are completing your Practical Driving Test with us we can usually integrate the Module 4 CPC into your course saving you both time and money…
Contact Us for more details.